MICROPLASTICS: FORMATION, DISPOSITION, AND ASSOCIATED DANGERS. AN OVERVIEW.
- Microplastic, pollution, cross-pollution, plastic in humans.
Copyright (c) 2023 SChQ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
In recent decades the increase in the use of plastics has been exponential around the world, reaching a presence in places such as rivers, oceans and lakes, as well as in terrestrial environments such as agricultural soils. Associated with the great use of plastics in all areas of work, plastic particles smaller than 5 mm, called microplastics, have been found in all environmental matrices: aquatic environment, dispersed throughout the water column, terrestrial environment, infiltrating the soil sedimenting, and in the air, being transported by the wind. In each of these matrices, microplastic serves as transport for highly polluting compounds such as heavy metals, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and organochlorine pesticides. In addition to environmental matrices, microplastics have been found in animals and humans in alarming numbers. In this way, this review addresses issues related to the formation and distribution of microplastics throughout the ecosystem and different organisms.
2. Fakhri M, Shahryari E, Ahmadi T. Investigate the use of recycled polyvinyl chloride (PVC) particles in improving the mechanical properties of stone mastic asphalt (SMA). Construction and Building Materials. 2022;326:126780.
3. Rao B, Dai H, Gao L, Xie H, Gao G, Peng K, et al. Surprisingly highly reactive silica that dissolves rapidly in dilute alkali (NaOH) solution even at ambient temperatures (25° C). Journal of Cleaner Production. 2022;341:130779.
4. Kaya S, Corman ME, Uzun L, Ozkan SA. Simple preparation of surface molecularly imprinted polymer based on silica particles for trace level assay of bisphenol F. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2022:1-11.
5. Diao S, Huang W, Li Y, Wang W, Yu B, Ning N, et al. Highly Interfacial Adhesion and Mechanism of Nylon-66/Rubber Composites by Designing Low-Toxic RF-like Dipping Systems. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 2022.
6. Zussman E, Burman M, Yarin A, Khalfin R, Cohen Y. Tensile deformation of electrospun nylon‐6, 6 nanofibers. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics. 2006;44(10):1482-9.
7. Zia KM, Bhatti HN, Bhatti IA. Methods for polyurethane and polyurethane composites, recycling and recovery: A review. Reactive and functional polymers. 2007;67(8):675-92.
8. Schulz M, Schäfer M, Saalwächter K, Thurn-Albrecht T. Competition between crystal growth and intracrystalline chain diffusion determines the lamellar thickness in semicrystalline polymers. Nature Communications. 2022;13(1):119.
9. Adhikari S, Durning CJ, Fish J, Simon J-W, Kumar SK. Modeling thermal welding of semicrystalline polymers. Macromolecules. 2022;55(5):1719-25.
10. Lin X, Du H, Jiang D, Zhang P, Yu Z, Bi H, et al. Microwave awakening the n-π* electronic transition in highly crystalline polymeric carbon nitride nanosheets for photocatalytic hydrogen generation. Journal of Energy Chemistry. 2022;65:541-7.
11. Mandelkern L. The structure of crystalline polymers. Accounts of chemical research. 1990;23(11):380-6.
12. Wendorff JH. The structure of amorphous polymers. Polymer. 1982;23(4):543-57.
13. Narayan S, Anand L. Fracture of amorphous polymers: A gradient-damage theory. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. 2021;146:104164.
14. Li Y, Li J, Ding J, Song Z, Yang B, Zhang C, et al. Degradation of nano-sized polystyrene plastics by ozonation or chlorination in drinking water disinfection processes. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2022;427:131690.
15. Alvim CB, Bes-Piá M, Mendoza-Roca JA. Separation and identification of microplastics from primary and secondary effluents and activated sludge from wastewater treatment plants. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2020;402:126293.
16. Andrady AL. The plastic in microplastics: A review. Marine pollution bulletin. 2017;119(1):12-22.
17. Borrelle SB, Ringma J, Law KL, Monnahan CC, Lebreton L, McGivern A, et al. Predicted growth in plastic waste exceeds efforts to mitigate plastic pollution. Science. 2020;369(6510):1515-8.
18. Geyer R, Jambeck JR, Law KL. Production, use, and fate of all plastics ever made. Science advances. 2017;3(7):e1700782.
19. Najafi SK. Use of recycled plastics in wood plastic composites–A review. Waste management. 2013;33(9):1898-905.
20. Zhou X, Zhao Y, Pang G, Jia X, Song Y, Guo A, et al. Microplastic abundance, characteristics and removal in large-scale multi-stage constructed wetlands for effluent polishing in northern China. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2022;430:132752.
21. Mai L, You S-N, He H, Bao L-J, Liu L-Y, Zeng EY. Riverine microplastic pollution in the Pearl River Delta, China: are modeled estimates accurate? Environmental science & technology. 2019;53(20):11810-7.
22. Eerkes-Medrano D, Thompson RC, Aldridge DC. Microplastics in freshwater systems: a review of the emerging threats, identification of knowledge gaps and prioritisation of research needs. Water research. 2015;75:63-82.
23. Minor EC, Lin R, Burrows A, Cooney EM, Grosshuesch S, Lafrancois B. An analysis of microlitter and microplastics from Lake Superior beach sand and surface-water. Science of The Total Environment. 2020;744:140824.
24. Scherer C, Weber A, Stock F, Vurusic S, Egerci H, Kochleus C, et al. Comparative assessment of microplastics in water and sediment of a large European river. Science of the Total Environment. 2020;738:139866.
25. Zhou G, Wang Q, Li J, Li Q, Xu H, Ye Q, et al. Removal of polystyrene and polyethylene microplastics using PAC and FeCl3 coagulation: Performance and mechanism. Science of the Total Environment. 2021;752:141837.
26. Zhang L, Liu J, Xie Y, Zhong S, Yang B, Lu D, et al. Distribution of microplastics in surface water and sediments of Qin river in Beibu Gulf, China. Science of the Total Environment. 2020;708:135176.
27. Jambeck JR, Geyer R, Wilcox C, Siegler TR, Perryman M, Andrady A, et al. Plastic waste inputs from land into the ocean. Science. 2015;347(6223):768-71.
28. Lau WW, Shiran Y, Bailey RM, Cook E, Stuchtey MR, Koskella J, et al. Evaluating scenarios toward zero plastic pollution. Science. 2020;369(6510):1455-61.
29. Rillig MC, Kim SW, Kim T-Y, Waldman WR. The global plastic toxicity debt. Environmental Science & Technology. 2021;55(5):2717-9.
30. Seltenrich N. New link in the food chain? Marine plastic pollution and seafood safety. NLM-Export; 2015.
31. Kershaw P, Turra A, Galgani F. Guidelines for the monitoring and assessment of plastic litter and microplastics in the ocean. 2019.
32. Nguyen B, Claveau-Mallet D, Hernandez LM, Xu EG, Farner JM, Tufenkji N. Separation and analysis of microplastics and nanoplastics in complex environmental samples. Accounts of chemical research. 2019;52(4):858-66.
33. Leslie HA, van Velzen MJM, Brandsma SH, Vethaak AD, Garcia-Vallejo JJ, Lamoree MH. Discovery and quantification of plastic particle pollution in human blood. Environment International. 2022;163:107199.
34. Wu P, Cai Z, Jin H, Tang Y. Adsorption mechanisms of five bisphenol analogues on PVC microplastics. Science of The Total Environment. 2019;650:671-8.
35. Cole M, Lindeque P, Halsband C, Galloway TS. Microplastics as contaminants in the marine environment: a review. Marine pollution bulletin. 2011;62(12):2588-97.
36. Andrady AL. Microplastics in the marine environment. Marine pollution bulletin. 2011;62(8):1596-605.
37. Su L, Xiong X, Zhang Y, Wu C, Xu X, Sun C, et al. Global transportation of plastics and microplastics: A critical review of pathways and influences. Science of The Total Environment. 2022;831:154884.
38. Lamb JB, Willis BL, Fiorenza EA, Couch CS, Howard R, Rader DN, et al. Plastic waste associated with disease on coral reefs. Science. 2018;359(6374):460-2.
39. Jahnke A, Arp HPH, Escher BI, Gewert B, Gorokhova E, Kühnel D, et al. Reducing uncertainty and confronting ignorance about the possible impacts of weathering plastic in the marine environment. Environmental Science & Technology Letters. 2017;4(3):85-90.
40. Ivleva NP. Chemical Analysis of Microplastics and Nanoplastics: Challenges, Advanced Methods, and Perspectives. Chemical Reviews. 2021;121(19):11886-936.
41. Arp HPH, Kühnel D, Rummel C, MacLeod M, Potthoff A, Reichelt S, et al. Weathering Plastics as a Planetary Boundary Threat: Exposure, Fate, and Hazards. Environmental Science & Technology. 2021;55(11):7246-55.
42. Rocha-Santos TA, Duarte AC. Characterization and analysis of microplastics: Elsevier; 2017.
43. Barboza LGA, Gimenez BCG. Microplastics in the marine environment: current trends and future perspectives. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2015;97(1-2):5-12.
44. Deng H, Su L, Zheng Y, Du F, Liu Q-X, Zheng J, et al. Crack Patterns of Environmental Plastic Fragments. Environmental Science & Technology. 2022;56(10):6399-414.
45. Alipour N, Strömberg E, Enebro J, Hedenqvist MS. Release of micro-and nanoparticles from a polypropylene/clay nanocomposite, a methodology for controlled degradation and evaluation. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2021;319:128761.
46. Mason SA, Garneau D, Sutton R, Chu Y, Ehmann K, Barnes J, et al. Microplastic pollution is widely detected in US municipal wastewater treatment plant effluent. Environmental pollution. 2016;218:1045-54.
47. do Sul JAI, Costa MF. The present and future of microplastic pollution in the marine environment. Environmental pollution. 2014;185:352-64.
48. Wong JKH, Lee KK, Tang KHD, Yap P-S. Microplastics in the freshwater and terrestrial environments: Prevalence, fates, impacts and sustainable solutions. Science of The Total Environment. 2020;719:137512.
49. LI WC, Tse H, Fok L. Plastic waste in the marine environment: A review of sources, occurrence and effects. Science of the total environment. 2016;566:333-49.
50. Su L, Xue Y, Li L, Yang D, Kolandhasamy P, Li D, et al. Microplastics in taihu lake, China. Environmental Pollution. 2016;216:711-9.
51. Wang W, Ndungu AW, Li Z, Wang J. Microplastics pollution in inland freshwaters of China: a case study in urban surface waters of Wuhan, China. Science of the Total Environment. 2017;575:1369-74.
52. Xiong X, Zhang K, Chen X, Shi H, Luo Z, Wu C. Sources and distribution of microplastics in China's largest inland lake–Qinghai Lake. Environmental pollution. 2018;235:899-906.
53. Frei S, Piehl S, Gilfedder B, Löder MG, Krutzke J, Wilhelm L, et al. Occurence of microplastics in the hyporheic zone of rivers. Scientific reports. 2019;9(1):1-11.
54. Tan X, Yu X, Cai L, Wang J, Peng J. Microplastics and associated PAHs in surface water from the Feilaixia Reservoir in the Beijiang River, China. Chemosphere. 2019;221:834-40.
55. Capparelli MV, Molinero J, Moulatlet GM, Barrado M, Prado-Alcívar S, Cabrera M, et al. Microplastics in rivers and coastal waters of the province of Esmeraldas, Ecuador. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2021;173:113067.
56. Shabaka S, Moawad MN, Ibrahim MI, El-Sayed AA, Ghobashy MM, Hamouda AZ, et al. Prevalence and risk assessment of microplastics in the Nile Delta estuaries:“The Plastic Nile” revisited. Science of The Total Environment. 2022;852:158446.
57. Sari NR, Pangesty AI, Chalid M, Zuas O. Concentration, distribution, and characteristics of microplastic in estuary, coast and marine organisms in Indonesia: A Preliminary Review. Akuatikisle: Jurnal Akuakultur, Pesisir dan Pulau-Pulau Kecil. 2022;6(1):584.
58. Rodrigues D, Antunes J, Pais J, Pequeno J, Caetano PS, Rocha F, et al. Distribution patterns of microplastics in subtidal sediments from the Sado river estuary and the Arrábida marine park, Portugal. Frontiers in Environmental Science. 2022;10:998513.
59. Sun Q, Li J, Wang C, Chen A, You Y, Yang S, et al. Research progress on distribution, sources, identification, toxicity, and biodegradation of microplastics in the ocean, freshwater, and soil environment. Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering. 2022;16(1):1-14.
60. Shim WJ, Kim S-K, Lee J, Eo S, Kim J-S, Sun C. Toward a long-term monitoring program for seawater plastic pollution in the north Pacific Ocean: Review and global comparison. Environmental Pollution. 2022:119911.
61. Abelouah MR, Ben-Haddad M, Hajji S, De-la-Torre GE, Aziz T, Abou Oualid J, et al. Floating microplastics pollution in the Central Atlantic Ocean of Morocco: Insights into the occurrence, characterization, and fate. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2022;182:113969.
62. Li C, Zhu L, Wang X, Liu K, Li D. Cross-oceanic distribution and origin of microplastics in the subsurface water of the South China Sea and Eastern Indian Ocean. Science of The Total Environment. 2022;805:150243.
63. Galgani L, Goßmann I, Scholz-Böttcher B, Jiang X, Liu Z, Scheidemann L, et al. Hitchhiking into the Deep: How Microplastic Particles are Exported through the Biological Carbon Pump in the North Atlantic Ocean. Environmental Science & Technology. 2022.
64. Cózar A, Echevarría F, González-Gordillo JI, Irigoien X, Úbeda B, Hernández-León S, et al. Plastic debris in the open ocean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2014;111(28):10239-44.
65. Reisser J, Slat B, Noble K, Du Plessis K, Epp M, Proietti M, et al. The vertical distribution of buoyant plastics at sea: an observational study in the North Atlantic Gyre. Biogeosciences. 2015;12(4):1249-56.
66. Mato Y, Isobe T, Takada H, Kanehiro H, Ohtake C, Kaminuma T. Plastic resin pellets as a transport medium for toxic chemicals in the marine environment. Environmental science & technology. 2001;35(2):318-24.
67. Astner A, Hayes D, O'Neill H, Evans B, Pingali S, Urban V, et al. Mechanical formation of micro-and nano-plastic materials for environmental studies in agricultural ecosystems. Science of The Total Environment. 2019;685:1097-106.
68. Ioakeimidis C, Fotopoulou K, Karapanagioti H, Geraga M, Zeri C, Papathanassiou E, et al. The degradation potential of PET bottles in the marine environment: An ATR-FTIR based approach. Scientific reports. 2016;6(1):1-8.
69. Li W, Chen X, Li M, Cai Z, Gong H, Yan M. Microplastics as an aquatic pollutant affect gut microbiota within aquatic animals. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2022;423:127094.
70. Sun K, Song Y, He F, Jing M, Tang J, Liu R. A review of human and animals exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: Health risk and adverse effects, photo-induced toxicity and regulating effect of microplastics. Science of The Total Environment. 2021;773:145403.
71. Mei W, Chen G, Bao J, Song M, Li Y, Luo C. Interactions between microplastics and organic compounds in aquatic environments: a mini review. Science of the Total Environment. 2020;736:139472.
72. Rochman CM, Manzano C, Hentschel BT, Simonich SLM, Hoh E. Polystyrene plastic: a source and sink for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the marine environment. Environmental science & technology. 2013;47(24):13976-84.
73. Li J, Zhang K, Zhang H. Adsorption of antibiotics on microplastics. Environmental Pollution. 2018;237:460-7.
74. Kumar A, Upadhyay P, Prajapati SK. Impact of microplastics on riverine greenhouse gas emissions: a view point. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2022.
75. Kasa VP, Mondal A, Cheela V, Dubey BK. Occurrences, impacts, and characterization of microplastics in terrestrial ecosystem to aid policy. Current Opinion in Environmental Science & Health. 2022;27:100361.
76. Tian L, Jinjin C, Ji R, Ma Y, Yu X. Microplastics in agricultural soils: sources, effects, and their fate. Current Opinion in Environmental Science & Health. 2022;25:100311.
77. Nizzetto L, Langaas S, Futter M. Pollution: do microplastics spill on to farm soils? Nature. 2016;537(7621):488-.
78. Zhang B, Yang X, Chen L, Chao J, Teng J, Wang Q. Microplastics in soils: a review of possible sources, analytical methods and ecological impacts. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology. 2020;95(8):2052-68.
79. Liu Y, Shao H, Liu J, Cao R, Shang E, Liu S, et al. Transport and transformation of microplastics and nanoplastics in the soil environment: A critical review. Soil Use and Management. 2021;37(2):224-42.
80. Song YK, Hong SH, Jang M, Han GM, Jung SW, Shim WJ. Combined effects of UV exposure duration and mechanical abrasion on microplastic fragmentation by polymer type. Environmental science & technology. 2017;51(8):4368-76.
81. Chae Y, An Y-J. Current research trends on plastic pollution and ecological impacts on the soil ecosystem: A review. Environmental pollution. 2018;240:387-95.
82. Li J, Song Y, Cai Y. Focus topics on microplastics in soil: analytical methods, occurrence, transport, and ecological risks. Environmental Pollution. 2020;257:113570.
83. Keswani C, Dilnashin H, Birla H, Roy P, Tyagi RK, Singh D, et al. Global footprints of organochlorine pesticides: a pan-global survey. Environmental Geochemistry and Health. 2022;44(1):149-77.
84. Yao S, Huang J, Zhou H, Cao C, Ai T, Xing H, et al. Levels, Distribution and Health Risk Assessment of Organochlorine Pesticides in Agricultural Soils from the Pearl River Delta of China. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2022;19(20):13171.
85. Veludo AF, Figueiredo DM, Degrendele C, Masinyana L, Curchod L, Kohoutek J, et al. Seasonal variations in air concentrations of 27 organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) and 25 current-use pesticides (CUPs) across three agricultural areas of South Africa. Chemosphere. 2022;289:133162.
86. Chua EM, Shimeta J, Nugegoda D, Morrison PD, Clarke BO. Assimilation of polybrominated diphenyl ethers from microplastics by the marine amphipod, Allorchestes compressa. Environmental science & technology. 2014;48(14):8127-34.
87. Bigović M, Đurović D, Nikolić I, Ivanović L, Bajić B. Profile, Sources, Ecological and Health Risk Assessment of PAHs in Agricultural Soil in a Pljevlja Municipality. International Journal of Environmental Research. 2022;16(5):1-14.
88. Chen Y, Zhang F, Gao Q, Zhang J. Pollution and Risk Assessment of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (Pahs) in Agricultural Soil along a Highway of Jilin Province, China. Soil and Sediment Contamination: An International Journal. 2022;31(1):97-114.
89. Dai C, Han Y, Duan Y, Lai X, Fu R, Liu S, et al. Review on the contamination and remediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in coastal soil and sediments. Environmental Research. 2022;205:112423.
90. Aranda FL, Gayoso A, Palma-Onetto V, Rivas BL. REMOVAL OF COPPER IONS FROM AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS BY USING RESINS FROM Pinus Radiate BARK RESINS. Journal of the Chilean Chemical Society. 2022;67(1):5403-7.
91. Awasthi G, Nagar V, Mandzhieva S, Minkina T, Sankhla MS, Pandit PP, et al. Sustainable amelioration of heavy metals in soil ecosystem: Existing developments to emerging trends. Minerals. 2022;12(1):85.
92. Rochman CM, Hentschel BT, Teh SJ. Long-term sorption of metals is similar among plastic types: implications for plastic debris in aquatic environments. PLOS one. 2014;9(1):e85433.
93. Yan W, Hamid N, Deng S, Jia P-P, Pei D-S. Individual and combined toxicogenetic effects of microplastics and heavy metals (Cd, Pb, and Zn) perturb gut microbiota homeostasis and gonadal development in marine medaka (Oryzias melastigma). Journal of hazardous materials. 2020;397:122795.
94. Schell T, Hurley R, Buenaventura NT, Mauri PV, Nizzetto L, Rico A, et al. Fate of microplastics in agricultural soils amended with sewage sludge: Is surface water runoff a relevant environmental pathway? Environmental Pollution. 2022;293:118520.
95. Wang J, Nabi MM, Erfani M, Goharian E, Baalousha M. Identification and quantification of anthropogenic nanomaterials in urban rain and runoff using single particle-inductively coupled plasma-time of flight-mass spectrometry. Environmental Science: Nano. 2022;9(2):714-29.
96. Vázquez-Tapia I, Salazar-Martínez T, Acosta-Castro M, Meléndez-Castolo KA, Mahlknecht J, Cervantes-Avilés P, et al. Occurrence of emerging organic contaminants and endocrine disruptors in different water compartments in Mexico–A review. Chemosphere. 2022:136285.
97. Lee YK, Yoo H-Y, Ko K-S, He W, Karanfil T, Hur J. Tracing microplastic (MP)-derived dissolved organic matter in the infiltration of MP-contaminated sand system and its disinfection byproducts formation. Water Research. 2022;221:118806.
98. Sarim M, Jan T, Khattak SA, Mihoub A, Jamal A, Saeed MF, et al. Assessment of the Ecological and Health Risks of Potentially Toxic Metals in Agricultural Soils from the Drosh-Shishi Valley, Pakistan. Land. 2022;11(10):1663.
99. Okoffo ED, O'Brien S, Ribeiro F, Burrows SD, Toapanta T, Rauert C, et al. Plastic particles in soil: state of the knowledge on sources, occurrence and distribution, analytical methods and ecological impacts. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. 2021;23(2):240-74.
100. Su Y, Zhang Z, Wu D, Zhan L, Shi H, Xie B. Occurrence of microplastics in landfill systems and their fate with landfill age. Water research. 2019;164:114968.
101. Imhof HK, Ivleva NP, Schmid J, Niessner R, Laforsch C. Contamination of beach sediments of a subalpine lake with microplastic particles. Current biology. 2013;23(19):R867-R8.
102. Watts AJ, Lewis C, Goodhead RM, Beckett SJ, Moger J, Tyler CR, et al. Uptake and retention of microplastics by the shore crab Carcinus maenas. Environmental science & technology. 2014;48(15):8823-30.
103. Thompson RC, Olsen Y, Mitchell RP, Davis A, Rowland SJ, John AW, et al. Lost at sea: where is all the plastic? Science. 2004;304(5672):838-.
104. Rist S, Almroth BC, Hartmann NB, Karlsson TM. A critical perspective on early communications concerning human health aspects of microplastics. Science of the Total Environment. 2018;626:720-6.
105. Alexiadou P, Foskolos I, Frantzis A. Ingestion of macroplastics by odontocetes of the Greek Seas, Eastern Mediterranean: Often deadly! Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2019;146:67-75.
106. Pinheiro LM, do Sul JAI, Costa MF. Uptake and ingestion are the main pathways for microplastics to enter marine benthos: A review. Food webs. 2020;24:e00150.
107. Lusher A, Hollman P, Mendoza-Hill J. Microplastics in fisheries and aquaculture: status of knowledge on their occurrence and implications for aquatic organisms and food safety: FAO; 2017.
108. Lei L, Wu S, Lu S, Liu M, Song Y, Fu Z, et al. Microplastic particles cause intestinal damage and other adverse effects in zebrafish Danio rerio and nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Science of the total environment. 2018;619:1-8.
109. Hariharan G, Purvaja R, Anandavelu I, Robin RS, Ramesh R. Accumulation and ecotoxicological risk of weathered polyethylene (wPE) microplastics on green mussel (Perna viridis). Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 2021;208:111765.
110. Rist SE, Assidqi K, Zamani NP, Appel D, Perschke M, Huhn M, et al. Suspended micro-sized PVC particles impair the performance and decrease survival in the Asian green mussel Perna viridis. Marine pollution bulletin. 2016;111(1-2):213-20.
111. Gu H, Wang S, Wang X, Yu X, Hu M, Huang W, et al. Nanoplastics impair the intestinal health of the juvenile large yellow croaker Larimichthys crocea. Journal of hazardous materials. 2020;397:122773.
112. Kraus SD. Entanglement of whales in fishing gear. Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals: Elsevier; 2018. p. 336.
113. Nelms SE, Parry HE, Bennett KA, Galloway TS, Godley BJ, Santillo D, et al. What goes in, must come out: Combining scat‐based molecular diet analysis and quantification of ingested microplastics in a marine top predator. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. 2019;10(10):1712-22.
114. Germanov ES, Marshall AD, Bejder L, Fossi MC, Loneragan NR. Microplastics: no small problem for filter-feeding megafauna. Trends in ecology & evolution. 2018;33(4):227-32.
115. Burkhardt-Holm P, N'Guyen A. Ingestion of microplastics by fish and other prey organisms of cetaceans, exemplified for two large baleen whale species. Marine pollution bulletin. 2019;144:224-34.
116. Prata JC, Silva ALP, da Costa JP, Dias-Pereira P, Carvalho A, Fernandes AJS, et al. Microplastics in Internal Tissues of Companion Animals from Urban Environments. Animals. 2022;12(15):1979.
117. Cox KD, Covernton GA, Davies HL, Dower JF, Juanes F, Dudas SE. Human consumption of microplastics. Environmental science & technology. 2019;53(12):7068-74.
118. Manzoor S, Naqash N, Rashid G, Singh R. Plastic Material Degradation and Formation of Microplastic in the Environment: A Review. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2022;56:3254-60.
119. Thornton Hampton LM, Bouwmeester H, Brander SM, Coffin S, Cole M, Hermabessiere L, et al. Research recommendations to better understand the potential health impacts of microplastics to humans and aquatic ecosystems. Microplastics and Nanoplastics. 2022;2(1):18.
120. Koelmans AA, Nor NHM, Hermsen E, Kooi M, Mintenig SM, De France J. Microplastics in freshwaters and drinking water: Critical review and assessment of data quality. Water research. 2019;155:410-22.
121. Zhou G, Wu Q, Tang P, Chen C, Cheng X, Wei X-F, et al. How many microplastics do we ingest when using disposable drink cups? Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2023; 441:129982.
122. Jenner LC, Rotchell JM, Bennett RT, Cowen M, Tentzeris V, Sadofsky LR. Detection of microplastics in human lung tissue using μFTIR spectroscopy. Science of The Total Environment. 2022;831:154907.
123. Ojha A, Mishra A, Tiwary D. Microplastic in the Aquatic Ecosystem and Human Health Implications. Plastic and Microplastic in the Environment: Management and Health Risks. 2022:49-62.
124. Rivers-Auty J, Bond AL, Grant ML, Lavers JL. The one-two punch of plastic exposure: Macro-and micro-plastics induce multi-organ damage in seabirds. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2023;442:130117.
125. Fournier SB, D’Errico JN, Adler DS, Kollontzi S, Goedken MJ, Fabris L, et al. Nanopolystyrene translocation and fetal deposition after acute lung exposure during late-stage pregnancy. Particle and Fibre Toxicology. 2020;17(1):1-11.
126. Ragusa A, Principi G, Matta M. Pregnancy in the Era of the Environmental Crisis: Plastic and Pollution. Clinical and Experimental Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2022;49(10):216.
127. Kutralam-Muniasamy G, Shruti VC, Pérez-Guevara F, Roy PD. Microplastic diagnostics in humans: “The 3Ps” Progress, problems, and prospects. Science of The Total Environment. 2023; 856:159164.