STUDY ON THE CORROSION RESISTANCE CHARACTERISTICS OF n-TiO2/Al2O3 REINFORCED HYBRID Mg COMPOSITES
- Chemical properties,
- Heat treatment
Copyright (c) 2023 SChQ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The Mg based composites with the element addition of 3Zn, 0.5Mn and the reinforcement of ceramic particles nanoTiO2 and Al2O3 are added to form an Mg- hybrid composites through powder metallurgy method. The examination is mainly concentrated on the effect of multi ceramic particles such as nanoTiO2 and Al2O3 inclusion in the composite matrix for the characteristics of hardness, tensile strength, wear and corrosion. Optical and scanning electron microscopy are used for the micro structural variation. X-ray diffraction is used to analysis the various phases available in the hybrid composites matrix. Many intermetallic phase are formed during heat treatment process which reduces the porosity and increases density and corrosion resistance of the composites. The hard ceramic particles inclusion, hot extrusion process and heat treatment or stress-relieving mechanism enhances the above said properties of the prepared hybrid composites.
- M. Edwin Sahayaraj, J.T. WinowlinJappes, I. Siva, Effect of Heat Treatment Temperature on the Corrosion Performance of Electroless Ni-P/Ni-P-TiO2 Deposits on Carbon Steel, Journal of Advanced Microscopy Research, 9, 16-21, (2014).
- P.N. Lim, R.N. Lam, Y.F. Zheng, E.S. Thian, Magnesium-calcium/hydroxyapatite (Mg-Ca/HA) composites with enhanced bone differentiation properties for orthopedic applications. Materials Letters, 172, 193–197, (2016).
- A. Lakshmanan Pillai, G.R. Jinu, R. Elansezhian. Synthesis and investigation of magnesium matrix composite with titanium oxide by powder metallurgy. International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology, 5(1), 22-30, (2017).
- M. Edwin Sahayaraj, J.T. WinowlinJappes, I. Siva and N. Rajini, Investigation on corrosion performance of multilayer Ni-P / TiO2composite coating on Steel, Science and Engineering of Composite Materials, 23(3), 309 – 3014, (2014).
- S. John Leon, J.T. WinowlinJappes and M. Edwin Sahayaraj, Corrosion Performance of Annealed Electroless Ni-B-ZrSiO4 Coatings on Mild Steel, Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, 10 (3), 1-6, (2018).
- RajanVerma, Saurabhsharma, Dinesh Kumar, Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Based Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Alumina and Sic.International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), 6(3), 454 – 459, (2017).
- AnkushkohLi, H. S Bains, sumit Jain, D Priyadarshi, Machinability and Wear of Aluminium based Metal Matrix Composites by MQL - A Review. Material science Research india. 14(2), 194-203, (2017).
- J. Liu, H. Yu, C. Chen, F. Weng, J. Dai. Research and development status of laser cladding on magnesium alloys: a review, Optics and Laser in Engineering, 93, 195–210 (2017).
- V. K Bommala, K. G Krishna, V. T Rao. Magnesium matrix composites for biomedical applications: a review, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys, 7, 72–81(2019).
- M. Valente, D. Marini, V. Genova, A. Quitadamo, F. Marra, G. Pulci. Lightweight metallic matrix composites: development of new composites material reinforced with carbon structures, Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Functinal Materials, 17, 1–10 (2019).
- J. Satish and K. G. Satish . Preparation of magnesium metal matrix composites by powder metallurgy process. IOP Conferece Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 310, 1649–1655 (2018).
- P. A Bajakke, V. R Malik, A. S Deshpande. Particulate metal matrix composites and their fabrication via friction stir processing–a review, Materials and Manufaturing Process, 34, 833–81 (2019).
- NurettinSezer, ZaferEvis, Said Murat Kayhan, Aydin Tahmasebifar, MuammerKoc. Review of magnesium-based biomaterials and their applications, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys, 6 (1), 23-43, (2018).
- Yang Chen, Jinhe Dou, Huijun Yu, Chuanzhong Chen. Degradable magnesium-based alloys for biomedical applications: Journal of Biomaterials Applications, 33(10), 1348-1372, (2019).
- T. Judson Durai1, M. Sivapragash& M. Edwin Sahayaraj, Corrosion behaviour of Mg-Zr alloy in stimulated body fluid, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 7 (6), 305 – 312, (2017).
- Weigang Zhao, Song-Jeng Huang, Yi-Jhang Wu, Cheng-Wei Kan. Particle Size and Particle Percentage Effect of AZ61/SiCp Magnesium Matrix Micro- and Nano-Composites on Their Mechanical Properties Due to Extrusion and Subsequent Annealing,Metals, 7(8), 293, (2017),
- B.Selvam, P. Mari Muthu, R. Narayanasamy, V. Anandarkrishnan, K.S. Tun, M. Gupta, M. Kamaraj. Dry Sliding wear behavior of Zinc oxide reinforced magnesium matrix nano-composites. Materials and Design, 58, 475-481, (2014).
- M. Battabya, L. Veleva, N. Balu. Investigation of microstructure and mechanical properties of W-Y, and W-Y2O3 materials fabricated by powder metallurgy method. International Journal of Refractory metals and Hard Materials,50, 210-216, (2015).
- T. Judson Durai, M. Sivapragash& M. Edwin Sahayaraj, Effect of sintering temperature on mechanical properties of Mg-Zr alloy, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 7 (5), 117 -122, (2017).
- Ganesh Radhakrishnan, Anirudh P V, and Anujan Kumar S. Mechanical behavior of nanoparticulate TiO2 reinforced magnesium matrix composite. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 574, (2019) 012006, IOP Publishing doi:10.1088/1757-899X/574/1/012006.
- M. Prakasam, J. Locs, K. Salma-Ancane, D. Loca, A. Largeteau, L. Berzina-Cimdina. Biodegradable Materials and Metallic Implants-A Review. Journal of Functional Biomaterials, 8(4), 44 – 59 (2017).
- KhansaaSalmanHaider, HashimHaiderHashim. The Effect of MgO& TiO2 on Wear Behavior of Composite Material.Journal of Mechanical Engineering Research and Developments, 43(1), 288-297, (2020).
- J. Sathish, K.G Sathish. Preparation of magnesium metal matrix composites by powder metallurgy process. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 310 (2018) 012130, IOP Publishing doi:10.1088/1757-899X/310/1/012130.
- M. Paramsothy, X. Tan, J. Chan, R. Kwok, M. Gupta. Al2O3 nanoparticle addition to concentrated magnesium alloy AZ81: Enhanced ductility.Journal of alloys and compounds 545, 12-18, (2012).
- Maher Mounib, Matteo Pavese, Claudio Badini, Williams Lefebvre, HajoDieringa. Reactivity and Microstructure of Al2O3-Reinforced Magnesium-Matrix Composites. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Article ID 476079, 6 pages (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/476079.
- O.Sabokpa, A.Zarei-Hanzaki, H.R.Abedi. An investigation into the hot ductility behavior of AZ81 magnesium alloy. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 550, 31-38, (2012).
- L. Chen and Y. Yao. Processing, Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Magnesium Matrix Composites: A Review. ActaMetallurgiaSinica (English Letters), 27(5), 762–774 (2014).
- S.R.Yu and Z.Q. Huang. Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of FlyAshCenosphere/AZ91D Mg Alloy Composites. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 23(10), 3480–3488 (2014).
- M. Abbasi, B. Bagheri, M. Dadaei, H. R Omidvar, M. Rezaei. The effect of FSP on mechanical, tribological, and corrosion behavior of composite layer developed on magnesium AZ91 alloy surface.International Journal of Advanced Manufuring Technology, 77, 2051–2058 (2015).
- N. Anand and S. SenthilKumaran, Development and influence of tribomechanical properties on magnesium based hybrid metal matrix composites-a review.Materials Research Express, 7 (3), (2020). https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab7d08.
- W. Liu, X. Wang, X. Hu, K. Wu, M. Zheng. Effects of hot rolling on microstructure, macrotexture and mechanical properties ofpre-extruded AZ31/SiCnanocomposite sheets. Material Science and Engineering: A, 683, 15–23, (2017).
- S. Jayalakshmi, R. A. Singh, X. Chen, S. Konovalov, T. S. Srivatsan, S. Seshan, M. Gupta. Role of matrix microstructure in governing the mechanical behavior and corrosion response of two magnesium alloy metal matrix composites. JOM, 72, 2882–2891 (2020).
- X. Gu, W. Cheng, S. Cheng, Y. Liu, Z. Wang, H. Yu, Z. Cui, L. Wang, H. Wang. Tailoring the microstructure and improving the discharge properties of dilute Mg-Sn-Mn-Ca alloy as anode for Mg-air battery through homogenization prior to extrusion. Journal of Material Science and Technology, 60, 77–89 (2020).
- Yonghui Yan, Xiaoli Liu, HanqingXiong, Jun Zhou, Hui Yu, Chunling Qin, Zhifeng Wang. Stearic acid coated MgOnanoplate arrays as effective hydrophobic ﬁlms for improving corrosion resistance of Mg-based metallic glasses. Nanomaterials, 10 (5), 947 (2020), https://doi.org/10.3390/nano10050947.
- Ali Ercetin and DanilYurievichPimenov. Microstructure, Mechanical and Corrosion Behavior of Al2O3 Reinforced Mg2Zn Matrix Magnesium Composites. Materials, 14, 4819 (2021), Materials 2021, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma14174819.
- J. Kumar, D. Singh, N. S. Kalsi, S. Sharma, C. I. Pruncu, D. Y. Pimenov, K. V. Rao, W. Kaplonek. Comparative study on the mechanical, tribological, morphological and structural properties of vortex casting processed, Al-SiC-Cr hybrid metal matrix composites for high strength wear-resistant applications: Fabrication and characterizations. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9, 13607–13615 (2020).
- S. Sharma, J. Singh, M. K. Gupta, M. Mia, S. P. Dwivedi, A. Saxena, S. Chattopadhyaya, R. Singh, D. Y. Pimenov, M. E. Korkmaz. Investigation on mechanical, tribological and microstructural properties of Al-Mg-Si-T6/SiC/muscovite-hybrid metal-matrix composites for high strength applications. Journal of Materials Research and Technology,12, 1564–1581 (2021).
- Zhang, Xuezhi, Li Fang, BojunXiong, and Henry Hu. Microstructure and tensile properties of Mg (AM60)/Al2O3 metal matrix composites with varying volume fractions of fiber reinforcement.Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 24(12), 4601-4611, (2015).
- WeiweiLei,Taolue Wang, Hongxia Wang, Wei Liang. Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Pure Magnesium Subjected to Hot Extrusion. Journal of Applied Material Science & Engineering Research, 2(1), 1-3, (2018).
- Y. Wu, K. Wu, K. Deng, K. Nie, X. Wang, M. Zheng, X. Hu. Damping capacities and microstructures of magnesium matrix composites reinforced by graphite particles. Materials & Design, 31(10), 4862–4865 (2010).
- S. SilanTharakan, M. Sivapragash, E. Suneesh. An Effect of Stress Relieving on the Microstructural and mechanical Properites of Mg-3Zn-1Cu-0.7Mn/Al2O3 Composite Synthesized by Powder Metallurgy. International Journal of Mechanical and ProductionEngineering Research and Development, 9 (4), 355-362 (2019).
- Muhammad Rashad, Fusheng Pan, Huanhuan Hu, Muhammad Asif, ShahidHussain, Jia She. Enhanced tensile properties of magnesium composites reinforced with graphenenanoplatelets. Materials Science & Engineering: A, 630, 36–44 (2015).
- Mahdi Azizieh, ArshamNorouziLarki, Mehdi Tahmasebi, Mehdi Bavi, EhsanAlizadeh, HyoungSeop Kim. Wear Behavior of AZ31/Al2O3 Magnesium Matrix Surface Nanocomposite Fabricated via Friction Stir Processing. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 27(1-2), 2010–2017 (2018).
- T.Thirugnanasambandham,J.Chandradass, P. BaskaraSethupathi, M. LeenusJesuMartin. Experimental study of wear characteristics of Al2O3 reinforced magnesium based metal matrix composites. Materials Today: Proceedings, 14 (2), 211-218 (2019).
- SomayehAbazari, Ali Shamsipur, Hamid Reza Bakhsheshi-Rad, Ahmad Fauzi Ismail, Saﬁan Sharif, MahmoodRazzaghi, Seeram Ramakrishna,FilippoBerto. Carbon Nanotubes (CNTs)-Reinforced Magnesium-Based Matrix Composites: A Comprehensive Review. Materials, 13(19), 4421 (2020); https://doi.org/10.3390/ma13194421.
- Raman Singh, VijayaraghavanVenkatesh, Vinod Kumar. Corrosion: Critical Challenge in Wider Use of Magnesium Alloys. Metals, 8, 127, (2018), https://doi:10.3390/met8020127.
- Chun Chiu and Hsu-Chieh Liu. Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Behavior of WZ73 Mg Alloy/SiCp Composite Fabricated by Stir Casting Method. Metals, 8, 424, (2018), https://doi:10.3390/met8060424.
- DrahomírDvorský, JiříKubásek, Eva Kristianová, DaliborVojtěch. Corrosion Resistant Magnesium-Based Composite Material with MgF2 Continuous Network Prepared by Powder Metallurgy. Manufacturing Technology, 18(5), 737-741, (2018).
- Kai Chen, Jianwei Dai, Xiaobo Zhang. Improvement of corrosion resistance of magnesium alloys for biomedical applications. Corrosion Reviews, 33(3-4), 101–117, (2015).