INVESTIGATION OF HYDROCHEMICAL DYNAMICS OF GROUNDWATER IN COASTAL BLOCKS OF TIRUVALLUR DISTRICT, TAMILNADU, INDIA
Copyright (c) 2021 SChQ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
This paper presents the behaviour of cation and anion in samples of water collected from the coastal blocks of Tiruvallur District, Tamilnadu, India. 13 physiochemical parameters are investigated on the uniformly collected groundwater samples. It is revealed that fifty percentage of groundwater samples surpassed water quality levels pertaining to drinking and irrigation. In this investigation, descriptive statistical analysis is performed to understand groundwater characteristics. The hydrochemical dynamics of groundwater are evaluated using graphical plots Piper, Wilcox, and Gibbs. Through the Piper plot, it is concluded that high concentrations of sodium would induce cation exchange between Ca2+ and Mg2+ from the soil. This may lead to the acceleration of air and water circulation through the soil in wet conditions. The inference of the Piper plot is supported by end result of Gibbs plot. Gibbs plot indicates evaporation dominance of anthropogenic activities, while Wilcox plot clearly indicates groundwater's suitability for irrigation purposes. Moreover, the cation concentration is seen to be high on the eastern portion of the chosen area. The level of groundwater treatment should be adequately determined for potable purposes and for agricultural purposes as the study concludes the intrusion of saline water, rock water interaction and irrigation flows.
- Senthilkumar S, Balasubramanian N, Gowtham B, Lawrence JF, Appl. Water Science. 7, 263, (2017).
- Kumar PJS. Elixir Geoscience,54,12208, (2013)
- Fadiran AO, Dlamini SC, Mavuso A. Bull Chem Soc Ethiop.22,197, (2008)
- Ramesh K, Thirumangai V, Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 4,63, (2014).
- Adnan S, Iqbal J, Maltamo M, Bacha MS, Shahab A, Valbuena R, Environments, 6, (2019).
- Kassegne AB, Leta S. Cogent Environmental Science,6, (2020).
- Bonetto SMR, Caselle C, de Luca DA, Lasagna M, Sustainability,13,1,( 2021)
- Wagh VM, Panaskar DB, Jacobs JA, Mukate SV, Muley AA, Kadam AK. Arab J Geosci.12, (2019).
- Kumar A, Singh CK, Water Qual Expo Health.7,373, (2015)
- Gaikwad S, Gaikwad S, Meshram D, Wagh V, Kandekar A, Kadam A, Environment, Development and Sustainability.22,2591,( 2020)
- Brhane GK. Water Science.32,213, (2018)
- Ayadi Y, Mokadem N, Besser H, Environmental Earth Sciences.77, (2018)
- Ravikumar P, Somashekar RK, Prakash KL, Earth Science, 80, (2015)
- Venkateswaran S, Deepa S,Aquatic Procedia.4,1283, ( 2015)
- Krishna Kumar S, Hari Babu S, Eswar Rao P, Appl Water Sci,7,2533, (2017)
- Vasanthavigar M, Srinivasamoorthy K, Vijayaragavan K, Environ Monit Assess.171,595, (2010)
- Manoj K, Ghosh S, Padhy PK, Res. J. Chem. Sci.3,32, (2013)
- Basavarajappa HT, Manjunatha MC, Aquatic Procedia.4,1354, (2015)
- Sridhar SGD, Balasubramanian M, Jenefer S, Shanmugapriya P, Naveenkumar R, Ragunath P, JAIR,5,161,( 2017)
- Sridhar SGD, Kanagaraj G, Rafik MM, Balasubramanian M.,1, (2015).
- Krishna Kumar S, Bharani R, Magesh NS, Godson PS, Chandrasekar N, Appl Water Sci,4,341,( 2014)
- Rawat KS, Singh SK. Indonesian Jour. of Geography,51,78,( 2019)
- APHA A& W. Standard Methods Nonalcoholic Beverages &. Reagents and Standards as per Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA AWWA WEF.2014
- Mondal NC, Singh VP, Singh VS, Saxena VK. Journal of Hydrology,388,100,( 2010)
- Rina K, Datta PS, Singh CK, Mukherjee S, Hydrol. Process, 26,1538,( 2012)
- Herschy RW, Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series. 876,(2012)
- BIS. Indian Standard Drinking Water Specification ,Bureau of Indian Standards,IS 10500, 2012
- RadFard M, Seif M, Ghazizadeh Hashemi AH, MethodsX, 6,1021,( 2019)
- Acharya S, Sharma SK, Khandegar V.,Data in Brief.18,2019,( 2018)
- Mallick J, Singh CK, AlMesfer MK,Water,10,1,( 2018)
- Selvakumar S, Chandrasekar N, Kumar G., Water Resources and Industry.17,26, (2017)
- Saraswat C, Kumar P, Dasgupta R, Avtar R, Bhalani P,Applied Water Science.9,1,( 2019)
- Annapoorani A, Murugesan A, Ramu A, Renganathan NG, Res. J. Chem. Sci. 4,99,( 2014)
- Pradhan B,The Open Hydrology Journal.4,51, (2011)
- Sadashivaiah C, Ramakrishnaiah CR, Ranganna G, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health.5,158, (2008)
- Gibbs RJ.American Association for the Advancement of Science.170,1088,( 1970)
- B Patil VB, Pinto SM, Govindaraju T, Hebbalu VS, Bhat V, Kannanur LN, Environ Geochem Health. 42, (2020)
- Wilcox L, Dept of Agri, US. 969, (1955)
- Zhang B, Song X, Zhang Y, Water Research.46,2737, (2012)
- Balamurugan P, Kumar PS, Shankar K, Nagavinothini R, Vijayasurya, J. Chil. Chem. Soc.65, (2020).